Yesterday, the Pistons signed Tracy McGrady to a 1 year deal. Today a massive 4 team deal was announced:
In the proposed deal, the Houston Rockets will send Ariza to the Hornets, who in turn will send Collison and James Posey to the Pacers. The Pacers will send Troy Murphy to the New Jersey Nets. And the Nets will send Courtney Lee to the Rockets.
Here are my thoughts on these deals as they potentially impact the Warriors’ quest to fill out their roster:
1) The Pacers now have their point guard, which is possibly disastrous to my dreams of landing Granger for Monta.
2) On the other hand, the Pacers now have James Posey as well, who is nothing but a small forward, to add to Granger, Paul George, Mike Dunleavey and Dahntay Jones at the big wing position. Surely something has to give here, just as something has to give with the Warriors’ five small guards.
3) The Pistons signing McGrady makes it virtually certain in my mind that Tayshaun Prince will be moved for expirings. This signing makes sense only as a one-year rental that allows the Pistons to dump salary. While still filling the seats.
From McGrady’s perspective, this is a one year audition to show he can still play. No way he stays with the Pistons, he wants to play for a contender.
4) Interesting that the Rockets have given up on Ariza after one year. He failed as a go-to guy, and they picked up Kevin Martin to fill that role last year. I don’t expect Courtney Lee to make much of an impact with them. Like the Pistons, the Rockets are dumping salary. I think the Brad Miller signing — which they were forced into by Yao Ming’s injury, which according to rumor is slow to heal and may never heal — left them over budget. As for the wing position, Shane Battier can fill it ably.
5) As for the Nets, I find it increasingly amusing that they keep filling the Squeaky General’s roster with former Warriors who can’t play a shred of defense. I have been speculating about how this self-styled defensive genius would react to watching Anthony Morrow play. Would he even let him off his bench? And now Troy Murphy? Oh God. Can they even play at the same time?
The Nets are going to be spectacularly bad, again. And the General is going to get even squeakier, if such a thing is even possible.